|Roll of Honour|
Percy E. Chadwick
Percy Edgar Chadwick was born in Moss Gate also called Mosesgate, Bolton, Lancashire in the first quarter of 1887. He was the son of Charles and Rosina Chadwick.
In 1891 the Chadwick family is recorded as living at 2 Graves Lane,
By 1901 the family were living at 80 Walmearsley Road, Bury, Lancs.
Charles occupation is described as Colourist at Chemical Works.
In 1911 the census shows Percy serving as Guardsman 13850 with the 2nd Battalion the Grenadier Guards, and based at Pirbright, Guidlford.
Ella Elizabeth Vale, an important woman in Percy's life was born in Rayne in 1892 and in 1911 was working in Domestic Service in Kilburn London. She was living at 75 Brondesbury Villas, Kilburn. Percy married Ella at the Braintree Register Office on 21st July 1915. Percy gives his address as Wellington Barracks, London on their marriage certificate. Wellington Barracks is in Birdcage Walk close to Buckingham Palace. It is likely that Percy was a regular Guard for the Royal Palaces. The Guards Museum records that the 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards were in Chelsea during in the summer of 1915, but were transferred to the newly formed 1st Guards Brigade, in the Guards Division which went to France on 20th August 1915 just one month after Percy and Ella's wedding. Ella's address on her marriage certificate is 5 Rayne Street.
Percy and Ella lived on Dunmow Road close
to Wales Cottages. They lived in a thatched cottage which no longer
exists. Ellas sister Constance who was married to Mr Rowe lived at
The Battle of the Somme which had started in July 1916 dragged on into the Autumn of that year. On 25th September Private Chadwick was a member of the Grenadier Guards who were ordered to attack the ridge at Lesbouefs. The ridge was heavily defended and the Grenadier Guards suffered many casualties, over two thirds of the attacking force being killed or wounded.
Guardsman Chadwick was killed in action on 25th September 1916. He is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.
Percy's widow Ella went on the marry James Warner in 1922. James Warner was later Station Master at Rayne.